The following instructions are to ensure a successful surgical experience and must be followed. Otherwise, your surgery may be delayed or cancelled.
- Do not eat or drink anything eight hours before your surgery including water, juice, coffee, chewing gum, mints, etc.
- Any amount of food or drink can be cause to cancel or delay surgery, as a result of potential aspiration (stomach content going into the lungs) of the patient during surgery.
- Please arrive on time as instructed by your facility. An early arrival allows for necessary steps to occur prior to your surgery. A pre-procedure exam, a visit with your surgeon or specialist, completion of necessary lab work or treatments, and if indicated administration of pain control modalities (pain blocks) will occur all before your surgery.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages or smoke 24 hours before or after your procedure. Smoking and alcohol can adversely affect your anesthesia and other medications administered during surgery.
- Please consult with your primary physician as to what medications should be taken the day of surgery. If you have been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and use CPAP please bring your machine with you.
- If your surgery requires the administration of anesthesia, a responsible adult family member or friend must take you home.